Thursday, May 28, 2009

Pocket square dos and donts

A pocket square is a great way to accessorize your suit but there are a few things I do and don't do to make sure it doesn't look over the top.

I do:
Use a white handkerchief. Nothing like using a white cotton handkerchief as a pocket square because you can pull it out when you need it. It's more than an accessory and becomes functional.
Make a square. To fold a flat pocket square: 1) Lay the handkerchief on a flat surface, 2) Fold in half or third (depending on width of pocket), 3) Fold in (depending on depth of pocket). The pocket square should stick about 1/4 to 1/2 inches out of the pocket.












I don't:

Match it to my tie or shirt. Just as I try not to match my shirt and tie, I always only wear a white handkerchief as a pocket square.
Turn it into an origami diagram. There's a temptation to go over the top when you're using a pocket square such as the mountain peaks, but I keep it simple with a flat pocket square that's versatile and classic.

No comments:

Post a Comment